Monday, January 30, 2012

Treadmill Trials

A few weeks ago I broke our treadmill while doing my daily cardio training, preparing for the start of the Can-Am GNCC series. After running on the treadmill at my sister's house before the wedding, and the at the gyms in St. Lucia, I noticed our treadmill had a lot more friction. We had some silicon belt lube that we got for free in a treadmill kit, so I tried it out. It worked fine that day, but the next morning when I was running, Victoria said she smelled something burning.

We just thought that it was the belt lube, and I kept running on the treadmill for a couple of days, but I thought it would eventually all burn off. Bad idea. It made the entire apartment smell like burnt electric motor, which it turns out it was. Two days into the burning smell, the treadmill stopped running mid workout. We thought about buying a new treadmill (this one has had issues before and was free), but to replace it will an equal model would be around $1000. TreadmillDoctor.com helped us figure out the problem and order a new motor. We only had to pay for the motor and it cost around $190. Savings: $810


So it arrived this week and here I am installing it. It works now, and I'm back to training for Florida at home instead of the gym.

Taking out the bad motor.

 Closeup of the bad motor.

New motor that works!

Have something you want to hear about? Ask me in a comment, on Facebook, or at HurricaneHoyland@gmail.com. Also, if you like this blog, become a follower and subscribe!



3 comments:

  1. Thanks to giving a shout out to my treadmill brother!!

    I also wanted to make a comment for those people that don't have a treadmill already at home. I recently purchased a treadmill valued at around $1000 for $550 (ended up being ~$600 with matt to put underneath when placing on tile floor). The treadmill was on sale at Dick's during the last Black Friday weekend and I purchased it on "Cyber Monday", which is ridiculous in and of itself, but that could be another story.

    The point of the comment is that even though a treadmill can be expensive as an "up front" cost, their longevity and as Mr. Hurricane made apparent, their fixability and low maintenance can save you a ton in the long run when comparing to monthly gym memberships. So, look for treadmills on sale, or free/give away (Craigslist has been a source for some of my friends) if you don't already have one, you won't regret it!

    Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are these regular treadmills? I am currently looking for one and my first stop was Craigslist. I am not at all sure about what to look for. Please give me some insight. I am not an athlete, just wanting to lose some get in some sort of healthy shape.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're still looking for a treadmill, TreadmillDoctor.com has reviews for just about every treadmill in existence. They also have help articles that could help you when looking at treadmills that may not be in the best condition.

    ReplyDelete