Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Crosstraining: Dirt Bikes

I recently bought a 2004 YZ125 to try to do some cross training. I've never really rode a dirt bike other than messing around on some at friend's houses, so I really don't know what training benefits I'll get from it. Today was my first time training with it, and here's a video of some of what I did.


So far, I've noticed that dirt bike riding works some different muscles than four wheeler riding. I have a lot to learn about riding a dirt bike, but it's the funnest thing I've done in a while. I converted it to a thumb throttle, which made me feel a lot more comfortable and in control, but I won't lie, the woods are still really hard.

My main reasons for trying out a dirt bike as a training method were money and logistics really. I live in an apartment and don't have anywhere to easily store a four-wheeler, but I have several friends in the area that ride dirt bikes and wouldn't mind finding a little garage space to store mine. Dirt bikes are also easier to transport. I can fit two bikes in the back of my truck, whereas I can only fit one four-wheeler. This helps when I want to travel with someone to ride somewhere. The area that I live in has a lot more places where I can ride a bike than a four-wheeler, so I have more places to train.

Dirt bikes are cheaper than four wheelers in almost every way. They are cheaper from the start, when you purchase one. Maintenance is cheaper, and I can do a lot of it myself especially since I got a 2-stroke. Fuel is cheaper because you use less.

Like I said, I'm still trying it out to see how it will benefit me and my training program, but seat time is seat time.

If you like this blog, become a follower and subscribe. You can comment on the blog, Facebook, or at HurricaneHoyland@gmail.com if you have questions or want more information on something I talk about.

1 comment: