Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Race Report: The Outback

The opening round of the Mideast Hare Scramble series in Laurinburg, NC was another cold, wet race. The weather was less than desirable, and the muddy sections of the track were rough. It did turn out to be a Hoyland family reunion and it was nice to have my wife and parents there. It was also great to see the Mideast family for the first time this year.

Note that my dad is wearing shorts...crazy 

As for the race, I got a good start but overshot the third turn and got into the slop, letting teammates Brian Cook and Braden Henthorn around me. The next field I was able to outmotor Braden and went into the woods in second. Braden passed me back within the first mile, but then Brian got stuck on a downed tree and I was able to pass both of them for the lead. I led until the third lap when I came up on some stuck lappers and had nowhere to go. Brian got there and quickly made a path around, also passing me. I was able to tag in behind him, and we raced back and forth for the next two laps.

On the last lap, I made a pass on Brian and saw out of the corner of my eye that he was flying off of his quad. I turned around and went back to make sure he was ok, then took back off when he said he was fine. He tagged in behind me and when I caught some lappers with a couple miles left, he made the final pass on me to get the win. I finished in second.

Racing with Brian made up for the cold miserable weather, until I got back to the trailer and realized I had forgotten water and washrags to clean myself with. It was very cold washing myself with papertowels and the rest of my gallon jug of drinking water.

Post race discussion

Here is a video from the race. There was hardly any footage clear enough to use, so I did what I could with the footage available.



If you like this blog, subscribe via email and become a follower. Comment below, on Facebook, or email me at HurricaneHoyland@gmail.com with questions or comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment