Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Rattlesnake Ridge

The Rattlesnake Ridge outlaw race last weekend in Taylorsville NC was...cold to say the least. Between the wind and the occasional snow, it was not my idea of good racing conditions. I am not a fan of racing below 45 degrees, so I guess you can call me a fair weather rider.

In spite of the cold, I got a good start, but I had to stop at the end of the first lap to adjust my stabilizer for a few seconds. I had turned it down before the race because it was so cold, which made it hard to turn. But within a mile into the race, everything on the bike warmed up, including the stabilizer, and it felt like I had no stabilizer at all so I stopped to fix it. It didn't take much time, but it allowed 3 or 4 people to pass me. If I ever get a wild hair to race another race as cold as this one, which I probably won't because I hate the cold, I will NOT adjust my stabilizer before the race. Lesson learned.

We raced a 6 mile loop for a little over 2 hours. I felt like I was on the smallest merry-go-round ever; there were more laps than I could count. I wish I had my Garmin on so that I could have told what time it was and how much longer so I would have had an idea of when the last lap would be because it went straight to checkered.

There was some really good racing with my new teammate Braden Henthorn. We both had bike problems that made us pass each other back and forth throughout the race, then he made the final pass on me with 2 laps left. Below is a video of the race. Even though I had my problems with the cold and short track, it was good to start the racing season. Making some changes to the bike and my training regime to get ready for the next race this weekend, and the start of  GNCC.



Brian Wolf won, followed by Kevin Yoho, Brian Cook, Braden Henthorn, and then me in fifth. My other teammate David Reeves broke down and James Reeves won A class.

No comments:

Post a Comment